ZSFG's AHA Training Center offers blended-learning and instructor-led initial and renewal courses. All of our courses follow current AHA guidelines
ZSFG uses the American Heart Association HeartCode training model. Heartcode is a blended learning delivery method for the ACLS, BLS and PALS Courses. HeartCode blended learning delivers quality resuscitation education regardless of where providers are located and gives them more control to complete the course at their own pace. HeartCode requires providers to complete 2 portions of training to successfully complete the course. The first portion is an online module administered by American Heart Association. After completing the online module, providers participate in an in-person session to demonstrate hands-on skills with an AHA instructor.
- Register for an in-person skills session using the links below
- AHA HeartCode in-person skills sessions are offered at ZSFG DET on the second Wednesday of the month from January to November (no sessions are scheduled in December)
- BLS is automatically included if you register for an ACLS/BLS in-person skills session
- BLS is not automatically included if you register for PALS – If you need both, you must register for both
- An American Heart Association (AHA) e-learning course link will be sent to the email you used when registering
- You must complete the e-learning course prior to attending the in-person skills session
- Be ready to show the certificate of completion when you check in for your in-person skills session
- Printed copies or digital copies on your phone or another device are acceptable
- Your in-person skills session will need to be rescheduled if DET staff or an AHA instructor cannot confirm that you completed the e-learning course
- Your AHA e-card will be sent to you after you have successfully completed the skills session and the class has been processed by DET staff
- Your e-card will be sent by AHA to the email you used for registering – ZSFG DET does not manage AHA cards
- Allow 1-2 weeks to receive your e-card by email
- AHA no longer provides printed cards
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: How long will it take me to complete the AHA HeartCode courses?
A: It depends on the course(s):
For BLS: 2.5 hours total (e-learning course 1.5 hours + 1-hour skills session)
For ACLS: 8 hours total (ACLS e-learning course 4 hours + 1.5 hours ACLS skills session + 2.5 hours for the BLS course)
For PALS: 8 hours total (e-learning course 5 hours + 3 hours skills session)
Q: What do I do if I need to reschedule or cancel my skills session?
A: Contact Antonio.Naguiat@sfdph.org if you need to cancel or reschedule. Refunds for purchased courses will not be granted if the online course has been activated or used.
Q: How do I claim continuing education (CE) for the AHA HeartCode courses?
A: Some online AHA courses do qualify for CE, CE (CEUs), or continuing medical education (CME) credit for doctors, nurses, and EMS professionals. AHA HeartCode blended learning courses are jointly accredited by the ACCME, ACPE, and ANCC to provide continuing education. If CEs are available, you can claim them online by visiting https://elearning.heart.org/mycourse and selecting the CE Credit icon in the Completed tab. ZSFG DET does not manage CEs for AHA HeartSaver courses.